Saturday 20 April 2013

Brunch beans

A fabulous friend of mine has a hot tip for home-cooked baked beans - curry powder! So, always being one for following good culinary advice from faithful friends (and all other manner of sound counsel!), I added this secret ingredient to my recent attempt at slow cooked beans.

Overnight, I soaked white and borlotti beans and then, added them to the slow cooker with tomato paste, bay leaves, diced tomatoes, salt, pepper and, of course, the curry powder!!! At the end of the cooking - about six hours - I stirred through a nice swig of good olive oil to give the beans a lovely consistency. I served the beans on toasted Turkish bread, with homemade hummus. Yum!!

The following day, I also had the beans for a late supper. In an ovenproof dish, I put in a few tablespoons of the beans and cracked over an egg in the centre, and then baked the whole thing in the oven for about 20-25 minutes. Once baked, a few sprigs of fresh coriander, some salt and pepper and toast on the side finished it off.











No comments: