Friday 22 March 2013

Bill's Coconut Pancakes with slow cooked Berry Compote

A favourite pancake recipe of mine, that I will often cook on the weekend for brunch, comes from Bill Granger and includes dessicated coconut. His original recipe serves it up with banana and passionfruit on the side.
This combination works well but I wanted something that I could do in the slow cooker and have stewing while making the pancake mixture.
I decided to experiment with a berry compote and the flavours were far stronger than anything I have done in a saucepan.
You can use either frozen or fresh berries. Just remember that frozen berries will water down the mixture.

I placed half a packet of frozen rasberries, 2 punnets of fresh blueberries and half a jar of rasberry jam in the slow cooker.
I then put the lid on and set the cooker on low for 3 hours.
After 3 hours,  the lid was removed, with the cooker still set on low and the mixture thickened up.
You can leave the heat on for as long as you like, depending on how thick you want the mixture.
Serve and enjoy!
Here is the link to the recipe for the pancakes:

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/2793914-Coconut-Pancakes-with-Banana





No comments: