Thursday 21 March 2013

Caramelised Mushrooms

I have always loved mushrooms for breakfast but never really thought about making them in the slow cooker. For this recipe I usually cook the mushrooms and the balsamic glaze in the frypan. I just took the same recipe, doubled it and threw all ingredients in the slow cooker. As I was going through this process I was reminded of how much they really do shrink! I thought the process may water down the mushrooms but they turned out quite delicious.

This is how you can do it:

Fill a slow cooker to the top with swiss brown mushrooms, some halved and some whole.
Srinkle over the mushrooms around 2/3 cup of brown suger and about 4 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar.
Place a few small knobs of butter across the top.
Turn the slow cooker on low and leave for around 6 hours.
Be warned, the mushrooms will shrink.


I served these on toasted sourdough with ricotta, oregano and grilled proscuitto which worked well together.


No comments: