Tuesday 26 March 2013

Spiced Figs with Yoghurt

I must admit I am only a recent fan of figs especially fresh figs. So when I came across this recipe for spiced figs from 'I Love My Slow Cooker' by Beverly LeBlanc I was completely inspired. Instead of dried figs I used fresh figs from the markets. I adjusted the cooking time from 30 minutes to 60 minutes. I served the figs on top of vanilla yoghurt. This would be a great addition to muesli as well. Alternatively you could serve them hot with ice cream for dessert. I stored my figs in an air tight container in the fridge as they will keep for up to a week .

Ingredients
150ml apple juice
1/2 cup soft light brown sugar
1tbsp clear honey
1 cinnamon stick
a pinch of ground cloves
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways, or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
24 figs
1 tsp lemon juice (optional)

Put the apple juice, brown sugar and honey in the slow cooker. Stir until the sugar and honey dissolve, then add cinnamon stick, cloves and vanilla pod.

Cover the cooker with the lid then cook on HIGH for 45 minutes. Add the figs, re-cover and cook for a further 30 minutes until they are soft but holding their shape. Serve with figs hot over ice cream or chilled with yoghurt.

No comments: